1a. Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter) updated

Dear Prof Blackstone,

I hope this email finds you well. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Yuan Chen but please feel free to address me as Sky. I am writing to introduce myself as a student in your critical thinking and communicating class.

Having completed my higher nitec in electronics engineering at Institute of Technical Education (ITE) college east from 2018 to 2020, I continued my educational pursuits in the field of aerospace engineering at Temasek Polytechnic from 2020 to 2023. Currently, I am further expanding my knowledge and skills at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), where I am pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering.

When I was young, my father's ability to improvise and troubleshoot household appliances sparked my interest in engineering. My interest in engineering was sparked by his creative approaches to problem-solving. I still clearly recall the day he asked me to watch him troubleshoot the malfunctioning appliance. That encounter left a lasting impression on me and ignited my passion for comprehending and enhancing the technological systems that support our daily lives.

In terms of my communication skills, I consider active listening to be one of my strong points. I genuinely value the viewpoints and insights of others, and I actively participate in enlightening conversations to better comprehend various points of view. However, I have to admit that I occasionally get nervous before a crowd. As I am aware of the importance of verbal communication in engineering, I am actively working to improve in this area.

My specific objectives for this module are to improve my written and verbal communication abilities. I firmly believe that effective communication is the foundation of engineering, giving me the ability to express thoughts clearly, work effectively with others, and contribute to group projects.

My constant commitment to ongoing improvement sets me apart from others. I am committed to continuing my education throughout my life because I firmly believe that engineering is a field in which learning never stops.

Thank you for taking this time to get to know me. I’m looking forward to the interesting challenges and educational opportunities that lie ahead.

 

Best regards,


Loo Yuan Chen (Sky)


i read Kayden, Adam and Rachel's letters.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your letter because you have effectively expressed your strong interest in engineering especially when you emphasized your father's influence. However, the language used in this letter can be improved by using transitions to make your paragraphs connect and flow. For example, at the start of paragraph 4, you can use words such as "one of my...", and "In term of..." instead of "I". In addition, when you end a formal letter you should avoid using "Warm regards" because it is generally used for close family or friends. Overall, you have elaborated well on your key points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello Rachel,

      Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will update the necessary changes :)

      Best regards,
      Sky

      Delete
  2. Hi Sky,

    In terms of content, you have clearly explained all your pointers in a clear and concise manner (interest in engineering, strength, weakness, and personal branding) using PEEL format. I would also like to commend on your explanation on how your passion in engineering has ignited as I do have a similar experience with my father as well. Language is clear and accurate using appropriate style and tone. Pointers are also well-organized which flows all together.

    However, few improvements you could make is to give more elaboration in terms of explanation and example for your goals as well as better opening statement on paragraph 4.

    Overall, your letter is still well-written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robin,

      I'm glad that both of us share something in common! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

      Best regards,
      Sky

      Delete
  3. Dear Sky,

    Thank you for this well focused and highly detailed letter. You cover all the assignment points completely and yet concisely. I'm especially interested in how you watching your dad fix household appliances impacted an evolving interest in problem solving as well as your educational goals.

    You also do a fine job discussing your comm skills and your goals for the module. I'm glad to know that entertaining diverse viewpoints has value for you. With such an interest in multiple perspectives, you can be sure that growth is inevitable.

    In terms of language use, there are a few cases that you need to consider in the 2nd paragraph and your use of caps. Other than that, this is a well written letter.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Professor Blackstone,

    I appreciate you reading my letter and providing your insightful comments. Your advice is incredibly valuable to me, and I appreciate how much time and thought you put into it. I will revise the letter as needed to reflect your suggestions after taking them into consideration.

    Sincerely,
    Sky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts